Sopa is a traditional Mexican soup. It’s a common recipe in Mexico but everyone’s version is a little different.
Thank you to Ana Frias for her yummy version of sopa.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (7 oz.) package of Mexican pasta. Shells, alphabets, or fideo (or vermicelli noodles, broken into 2″ pieces)
- 1/4 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- A dash of kosher salt (about 1/8 of teaspoon)
- A dash of black pepper (about 1/8 of teaspoon)
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the pasta until slightly browned. About 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, beef bullion, cilantro, pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium low; simmer until the noodles are tender, about 15 minutes.